- A term used to indicate a legal regime outside of the United Kingdom. When an investment centre is offshore it is not subject to UK tax or regulation, including investment protection rules. For example, investments located in offshore centres cannot be the base for a claim on the Investors Compensation Scheme in the United Kingdom. Examples of commonly used offshore centres include the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar. Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein financial glossary
* * *▪ I. offshore off‧shore 1 [ˌɒfˈʆɔː◂ ǁ ˌɒːfˈʆɔːr◂] adjective1. involving an activity performed outside a particular country, rather than inside it:
• Taiwanese regulators have been unhappy with offshore trading in its stock futures.2. offshore bank/company/investment etc TAX a bank etc that is based in a country where taxes are lower, laws are less strict etc:
• He had transferred the money from Switzerland to accounts in offshore banks.
• firms based in loosely-regulated offshore financial centres3. connected with oil and gas production that is done on or under the sea:
• offshore oil drilling— offshore adverb :
• There have been complaints about capital being invested offshore.
• He worked offshore on an oil rig.[m0] ▪ II. offshore offshore 2 verb [transitive]MANUFACTURING if a company offshores jobs or an activity, it moves them to a foreign country where costs are lower:
• Some 3,000 formerly British jobs have been offshored each year since the millennium.— offshoring noun [uncountable] :
• We are particularly concerned about the offshoring of high-tech jobs.
* * *Ⅰ.offshore UK US /ˌɒfˈʃɔːr/ adjective [before noun]► FINANCE used to describe companies or investments that are based in a country that is not the home country and that has lower tax, weaker laws, etc.: »
an offshore bank/company/investment► ECONOMICS, HR, WORKPLACE used to describe the business activities of a company that happen in a different country to the one where the company is based, where costs may be lower: »
The subject of offshore jobs is one of the most politically charged this year.► PRODUCTION, NATURAL RESOURCES connected to the production of oil and gas at a distance from the land or under the sea: »
offshore reserves of oil»
Drilling offshore oil is still profitable.offshore adverb► »
The company had no alternative but to move offshore .Ⅱ.offshore UK US /ˌɒfˈʃɔːr/ verb [T]► ECONOMICS, HR, WORKPLACE to have work done in another country, often because costs are lower there: »
Product design is relatively difficult to offshore.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
offshore — [ ɔfʃɔr ] adj. inv. et n. m. • off shore 1952; angl. « loin du rivage », de off « loin de, hors de » et shore « rivage » ♦ Anglic. 1 ♦ Programme, commandes offshore : commandes d équipement de l armée américaine passées aux industries du pays où… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Offshore — may refer to: Contents 1 Finance and Law 2 Technology 3 Arts 4 … Wikipedia
Offshore — Off shore , a. 1. From the shore; as, an offshore wind; an offshore signal. [1913 Webster] 2. Located in the waters near the shore; as, offshore drilling. [PJC] 3. Operating or located in a foreign country; as, an offshore bank account; offshore… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
offshore — [ôf′shôr′] adj. 1. moving off or away from the shore [an offshore wind] 2. situated or in operation at some distance from shore ☆ 3. engaged in outside the U.S. as by U.S. banks or manufacturers [offshore investments, offshore assembly plants]… … English World dictionary
Offshore — u offshoring es un término del idioma inglés que literalmente significa en el mar, alejado de la costa , pero es comúnmente utilizado en diversos ámbitos para indicar la deslocalización de un recurso o proceso productivo. Contenido 1 Ámbito… … Wikipedia Español
Offshore '97 — / Red Skies Single by Chicane Released 1997 Format CD single … Wikipedia
offshore — a term used to describe vehicles or institutions based in, or regulated by, the laws of a jurisdiction that either has no tax or low tax for non locals and that specialises in providing services of a financial or legal nature to persons and… … Law dictionary
offshore — adj. 2 g. 2 núm. s. m. 2 núm. 1. Diz se da parte da indústria do petróleo que compreende a prospecção, a perfuração e a exploração dos jazigos situados ao largo da costa. 2. Diz se de um estabelecimento bancário estabelecido no estrangeiro e não… … Dicionário da Língua Portuguesa
offshore — ► ADJECTIVE & ADVERB 1) situated at sea some distance from the shore. 2) (of the wind) blowing towards the sea from the land. 3) relating to the business of extracting oil or gas from the seabed. 4) made, situated, or registered abroad. 5)… … English terms dictionary
offshore — 01. The government has given permission to an oil company to do [offshore] drilling on the west coast of the state. 02. With no direct taxation, the Cayman Islands are a thriving [offshore] financial center. 03. A recent study suggests that an… … Grammatical examples in English